The One Percent Foundation is a partnership of young adults dedicated to creating and sustaining a lifelong commitment to philanthropy.
The One Percent Foundation empowers young adults to become lifelong philanthropists by facilitating engaged, systematic, collective and values-driven giving and participation. Partners in the One Percent Foundation pledge to donate at least one percent of their income to philanthropy each year. The Foundation supports organizations in the five broad categories of Education, the Environment, Health, International Aid, and Poverty.
The One Percent Foundation envisions a diverse community of passionate, hopeful, engaged, and generous young adults who believe that at its core philanthropy is driven by the power of sustained collective action to create lasting change. We envision a bold, caring, innovative organization that empowers, that teaches, that inspires, that takes risks, and that has an impact.
- Engagement – We recognize that issues of need cannot be solved by money alone, and that we must be actively engaged in order to make a difference in our communities and the world. We believe in donating time, energy, and expertise in addition to financial support.
- Community – We are a community of family, friends, neighbors, colleagues, and classmates who believe in the power of communal action to achieve common goals and solve common problems.
- Responsibility – We believe that young adults have a responsibility to help improve their communities and the world. We also believe that we have the means – both individually and collectively – to affect change, and that to not use those means would be an abdication of our responsibility.
- Respect – We respect one another and the diverse perspectives that we each bring to the table. We also greatly value and admire the work of the organizations we support and we aim to implement our philanthropy in a way that exhibits respect towards these organizations and the populations they serve.
- Commitment – We believe that philanthropy requires a sustained commitment over a long period of time. This commitment is at the core of our mission.